As you may have gathered, I was not terribly happy with the accuracy of the swatch I knit for my dad's gansey. I cast on enough stitches -- I thought -- to get a chest measurement of about 42 inches, I ended up with a sweater that was a shade under 40. I was worried. Luckily, my parents came up to visit this weekend, so I was able to have my dad try on the sweater body. You know what? It fit pretty well. I was going for zero ease, but the sweater looked fine with a slight amount of negative ease.
It was unfortunate that I had to ruin the surprise and show my dad the sweater in progress, but at least I know that he likes the color, and I was able to confer with him about the exact length he wanted. I'm still unhappy that my swatch lied, but at least I didn't have to start over or repurpose the sweater. Over the weekend, I was even able to get the patterned front half (knit flat) done, and I'm about a third of the way through the back. Next, I'll be joining the shoulders and picking up for the sleeves -- I'm interested to see how the underarm gusset thingies work out, since I've never knit a sweater with those before.